Thursday, January 13, 2011

Grammar in the Real/Political World

My friend, the illustrious John Bullock of the Yale University Political Science Department, points this observation out. I can't vouch for the blog or its content, but it is intriguing.

Readers may, with bemused curiosity, recall that one of my first stories was on grammar and perceptions of political figures. The story is here.

Stay tuned for a post on physics: how gravity really works!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Nathan,
    Can you shed any light on this Judge David-Wynn Miller ideas? I've taken a look his site, and it doesn't seem to make any sense. While the idea that grammar is government controlled almost tracks (except for the parts where it makes no sense) his alternative (Alternative? Is his site trying to show an alternative to our evil government controlled grammar?) is just lost on me.
    Sorry for all the parentheses,
    Monica Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Monica — I looked at some of his stuff and honestly couldn't make much sense of it. I gather he has developed some sort of alternative grammar that it somehow more legally authoritative. Some things I've read suggest he's interested in what used to be called "axiomatic law" or something like that. It was a movement that attempted to define a few basic principles from which all (valid) laws could be derived. It is, to say the least, a problematic endeavor.

    ReplyDelete